Investing in technology to improve air quality
Monitoring Air Emissions
We use sophisticated electronic analyzers called continuous emission monitors. These monitors ensure that our emissions are at or below all state and federal limits for:
- Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx)
- Sulfur Dioxide (SO2)
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2)
Controlling Air Emissions
We control air emissions by:
- Purchasing fuels (coal, distillate and residual fuel oils and natural gas) with low sulfur concentrations smaller quantities of nitrogen to lower SO2 and NOx emissions.
- Using natural gas and low-sulfur fuel oils that inherently burn cleaner and produce less particulate matter.
- Using technologies that remove particulate matter. Unit 2 at the Deerhaven Generating Station burns coal but is equipped with an electrostatic precipitator that removes more than 99% of the particulates.
- Minimizing the formation of NOx when firing natural gas and fuel oil by using NOx control devices. The combustion turbine at Deerhaven and the combined cycle unit at our J.R. Kelly Generating Station both have this equipment.
- Investing in improved technologies to reduce emissions. The Air Quality Control System at the coal-burning unit at Deerhaven includes technology that reduces NOx emissions by at least 90 percent and SO2 emissions by at least 85 percent and removes nearly all particulate matter.